Broccoli and Cauliflower Au Gratin
(This recipe is easily halved)
- 1 stick butter
- 3 pounds cauliflower cut bite sized
- 1 1/2 pounds broccoli cut bite sized
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 6 cups whole milk
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 8 ounces grated cheddar cheese, about 3 cups
- 1 cup fine dry bread crumbs
- 1 tsp. sea salt, 1 tsp. black pepper,1 tsp. garlic pepper ,1/2 tsp cayenne pepper optional
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2. c. parmesean cheese
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Grease a 3-quart casserole dish.
Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Add the cauliflower and broccoli and cook until tender but still firm, 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer with a slotted spoon to a colander, rinse under cold running water, and drain well.
Place the cauliflower in the prepared pan and top with the broccoli.
In a medium heavy saucepan, melt the remaining stick of butter over medium heat. Stir in the flour, whisking constantly over medium heat until thickened about 4 minutes. Add the seasonings, stir, and gradually add the cold milk, whisking constantly until the mixture thickens, about 4 minutes. Bring to a simmer and add the cheese, whisking constantly until the cheese is melted. Remove from the heat.
Pour the cheese sauce over the vegetables.
In a bowl, mix together the bread crumbs, oil and parmesean cheese, evenly distribute over the top of the vegetables. Bake until golden brown, about 30 minutes. Serve hot.