This is the bomb-diggity-bomb!
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 pound sweet Italian sausage, bulk, or removed from casings
- 1 large yellow onion, half sliced and half minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 cups white wine
- 1 15-ounce can of white beans (cannellini, Great Northern, or Navy), drained
- 1 quart vegetable or chicken stock
- 1 quart water
- 1 teaspoon salt, more to taste
- 1 2-pound quartered, then sliced into 1/4-inch thick slices
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 cup to a cup of freshly grated Parmesan or pecorino cheese for garnish
1. Heat the olive oil on medium-high heat in a large (8-quart), thick-bottomed pot. Add the sausage, breaking it up into pieces as you put it into the pot in a single layer. When the sausage has nicely browned, remove it with a slotted spoon and set aside.
3. Add the white wine and the beans and bring to a rolling boil. Reduce to a simmer. Cover and cook for 10 minutes.
To serve, sprinkle on grated cheese.