Sunday Supper! Easy Stuffed Cabbage without the Roll!
I love stuffed cabbage, It reminds me of Tom's mom who called it Pigs in a Blanket. When she was alive and we'd visit Michigan, she'd always have a crock pot full. Let's be honest though who has time for that mess?
This adaptation is beyond good, easy, and takes much less time.
- 3 tablespoons EVOO
- 2 pounds ground pork or beef ( or, you can sub ground sausage of your choice and forgo all the below spices)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 1 small head cabbage, chopped or sliced (about 8 cups)
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1/4 tsp. allspice
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole tomatoes in juice, crushed by hand.
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons Worcester sauce
- 1/2 cup rice of your choice
- Fresh dill
- Sour cream for serving
- Heat oil in a large Dutch oven or soup pot over medium heat. Add meat and cook until no longer pink.
- Add onion, carrot, cabbage.
- Add spices, cook until cabbage is wilted.
- Add broth, tomatoes, vinegar, brown sugar, and Worcester. Bring to a simmer and cook until cabbage is tender, about 40 minutes.
- Add rice and season with salt. Cook until rice is tender or package directions.
- Stir in dill. Serve cabbage mixture over rice with a little sour cream.