- 1 Tablespoon olive oil, preferably garlic infused olive oil.
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onions
- 1 Tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 Tablespoon chili powder
- 1Tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 quarts chicken broth
- 6 cups mixed fresh vegetables: try sliced zucchini, yellow squash, chopped tomatoes, fresh corn sliced from the cob, butter beans
- 1 14.5 ounce can black beans
- 3 cups chopped or shredded chicken
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro
- Graded cheddar cheese for topping
- Sliced jalapeños for topping
- Tortilla chips for topping
Put the oil in a large soup pot or Dutch oven, add the onions and a little salt and cook until onions are soft, about 5 minutes. Add garlic, chili powder, tomato paste and cook for 1 minute. Add chicken broth and bring to a simmer.
Add the vegetables to the broth, starting with the longer cooking ones first. Simmer soup until all veggies are tender, 15 to 35 minutes, depending on your veggies. Add the chicken and half the cilantro. Cook for 5 minutes.
To serve, fill bowls with soup and top with cheese, cilantro, jalapeño peppers and tortilla chips :)