- 1/4 c EVOO
- 2 cups diced ham or 2 pounds ground sausage or a combo of the 2
- 1 whole onion chopped or 2 leeks
- 2 carrots
- 2 stalks celery
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 1/2 quarts chicken broth
- 2 bay leaves
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 small head cabbage chopped
- 8 cups coarsely shredded kale
- 1 can white beans
- 1 cup small pasta
Brown ham or sausage in a large soup pan.
Add onions, carrots, celery to mixture, cook about 5 minutes until veggies are wilted.
Add seasonings, tomato paste, chicken broth and simmer 30 minutes.
Add cabbage, kale and pasta. Simmer another 20 minutes.
Add chicken stock or tomato juice if you want more broth in soup.
Serve with grated Parmesan on top and crusty thick bread.