- 2 pounds (approx. 1 ½ quarts) fresh strawberries, washed and patted dry
- 3 3/4 cups heavy cream, divided
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 sleeves (about 19 ounces, or 24 to 28 whole crackers) graham crackers
- 2 ounces dark chocolate, finely chopped
- Take out a few of the best-looking strawberries and set them aside for the garnish. Hull the remainder of the strawberries and cut each berry into thin slices.
- With a hand mixer or in the bowl of a stand mixer, whip 3 1/2 cups of cream until it just holds stiff peaks. Add the confectioners sugar, vanilla, and whip to combine.
- Spread a small spoonful of whipped cream on the bottom of a 9x13-inch baking pan, or a similarly sized platter. Lay down 6 graham crackers. Lightly cover the top of the graham crackers with more whipped cream, and then a single layer of strawberries. Repeat 3 times, until you have 4 layers of graham crackers. Spread the last of the whipped cream over the top and swirl it lightly with a spoon. Add a few more strawberries.
- To make the ganache, heat the remaining 1/4 cup cream until bubbles form around the edges, then pour over the chopped chocolate. Let it stand for a few minutes, then whisk until the mixture is thick and glossy. Drizzle this over the layered dessert with a spoon, or transfer to a squeeze bottle and use that to drizzle.
- Refrigerate for at least 4 hours, or until the crackers have softened completely. Garnish with additional berries.