Roasted Spinach-Beet Salad
- 4 medium-size beets, tops removed and scrubbed
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 cups spinach or 2 cups spinach and 2 cups arugula
- 1/3 cup roasted pecans, walnuts or almonds
- 4 ounces soft goat cheese crumbled
- 1 avocado diced or sliced
This is the simple way to cook beets: Boil in salted water until a fork can easily pierce the beet. Peel. Below is the more complicated manner, but does give them a bit more flavor. Wrap the beets individually in aluminum foil and place them on a sheet pan. Roast them for 50 minutes to 1 hour, depending on their size, until a small sharp knife inserted in the middle indicates that they are tender. Unwrap each beet and set aside for 10 minutes, until cool enough to handle.
While the beets cook, whisk together the vinegar, olive oil, mustard, 2 teaspoons salt, and 1 teaspoon pepper and set aside. While the beets are still warm, cut each one in half and then each half into 4 to 6 wedges and place them in a large mixing bowl. As you’re cutting the beets, toss them with half of the vinaigrette (warm beets absorb more vinaigrette), 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.