- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 6 green onions or 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 heaping Tablespoons of chopped garlic, fresh or jarred
- 1 pound baby potatoes, or Yukon gold potatoes cut into 1-inch chunks
- 2 cups tomato juice
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 quart vegetable or chicken stock
- 1 pound Italian sausage cooked ( I like the spicy because it adds more flavor)
- 1/4 cup pest
- 1/4 c. ground parmesan
- Grated parmesan for garnish
- I use a combination of any of the following vegetables
1 pound asparagus
1 cup corn
1 cup butter beans
2 cups greens (dandelion, chard, spinach, kale, arugula, etc), chopped
- Chop the green onions and garlic. Slice the potatoes.
- In a large pot set over medium-high heat, warm the olive oil for 1 minute. Add the white parts of the green onions as well as the garlic and stir-fry for 1 minute. If you are using the sausage add this too. Drain, then add the potatoes. Stir to combine and cook forabout 3 minutes.
- Add the tomato juice and tomatoes with their liquid and the quart of vegetable or chicken stock. Bring to a simmer, add salt to taste, then cover and cook over medium-low for 10 minutes.
- Add whatever medley of vegetables you are using. Cook until vegetables are done ( green beans and butter beans will require more time. If you are using squash, wait until the last 5 minutes of cooking and add with your greens.
- Turn off the heat and stir in the pesto. Serve topped with grated cheese.