- 4 ears of corn, husks and silks removed ( about 2 cups kernels)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 5 medium tomatoes chopped
- 1 1/2 cups chopped baby red potatoes with skins
- 1 green or red pepper, cored, seeded, and finely diced
- 1/2 cup half and half or heavy cream
- 1/2 cup grated mild cheddar.
Cut kernels off cob. In a heavy saucepan, heat olive oil, then add the onions and 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Cook over low heat until the onions are soft, about 5 minutes.
Add the cumin, coriander, chili powder, jalapeños, and garlic to the pot and sautéed until they release their juices and soften, about 5 minutes. Add the potatoes, bell pepper and chicken broth. Cover and simmer until the potatoes are tender but still firm, 8 to 10 minutes. Add the corn kernels and cook for another 5 minutes.
Remove from the stove. Using an immersion blender, blend the soup until about 1/2 is puréed, or put 1/2 the soup in a blender and purée it, and then combine.
Add the half-and- half and cheese and return the soup to the stove. Heat over low until cheese is melted; do not boil. Ladle into soup bowls and serve right away. Best with a slice of good, thick bread.