Val's Zucchini Lasagna
- 3-4 yellow squash/zucchini, sliced in thin rounds
- salt, as needed
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 lb ground venison or italian sausage
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 cup yellow/red/green peppers, chopped
- 1 qt homemade tomato sauce (or 1 jar Bertolli spaghetti sauce + 1 can diced tomatoes, mixed together)
- 1 can Rotel mild diced tomato with green chile
- 1 pint ricotta cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp black pepper
- fresh herbs, chopped (whatever you got from farm chicks this week!
- 1-1/2 cup shredded extra sharp cheddar cheese
- 1-1/2 cup shredded mozzarella
- On paper towel lined plate, layer zucchini / squash, topping each layer with a bit of salt, which will draw water out. Allow to stand 30 minutes.
- Heat olive oil in large pan. Add meat, onion, colored peppers. Cook until meat has browned.
- Add 1/2 tomato sauce and all diced tomatoes.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- In large bowl, mix ricotta, egg, black pepper and herbs.
- Pat down zucchini / squash with clean dish towel or paper towel until dry.
- Start your layers with tomato sauce, then zucchini and yellow squash layer alternatively around dish for color, sauce with meat, ricotta cheese, sharp cheese and then mozzarella.
- Repeat layers starting with the zucchini and yellow squash accordingly.
- Bake at 425 until top is brown (or a little crispy for my boys).
- Enjoy! I have several variations adding spinach, tomato slices, etc. and my family loves them all.