Game day tailgate or go Penn State! (Or I'm about to get another CSA basket and I haven't even used these vegetables yet 😁!) Anyway here's what I'm taking the Michigan vs. Penn State Game.
Yes, no matter where your at: you need to get those greens on, plus they balance out all the lush cream I used! It's a crowd pleaser!
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 3 cups heavy cream ( trust me, this is good for the soul and your winter butt 😘) however, you could use half and half and if you are really, really worried whole milk)
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 parsnips, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 carrots, peeled and thin sliced
- 2 turnips, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 rutabaga, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 pound white or yellow potato
- Optional: 1 small celery root, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped sage leaves
- 1 tablespoon chopped thyme
- Salt & Pepper
- 8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 400. Butter a 9 x 13 dish. In a small skillet melt butter and add garlic. Pour in the cream and add the bay leaves. Bring to a simmer and remove from heat.
- Toss all vegetables with sage, thyme, salt, pepper.
- Layer half the veggies in casserole dish. Sprinkle with half of both cheeses.
- Layer the remaining vegetables on top.
- Remove bay leaves from cream and pour into casserole.
- Sprinkle with the remaining cheeses.
- Cover with tinfoil. Bake until vegetables are tender and cream is bubbly. 1 hour.
- Remove tinfoil and bake until golden on top, 30 - 45 minutes more.
- Let sit before serving !