Cast of characters:
- 1 whole (2 split) chicken breast, bone in, skin on or 1 small roasting chicken
- Olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 quarts homemade Chicken Stock
- 1 cup medium-diced celery (2 stalks)
- 1 cup medium-diced carrots (3 carrots)
- 2 cups wide egg noodles or a noodle of your choosing)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
The next three ingredients are optional. If I am making this soup for Tom, they are omitted.
- Optional: 1 cup peas
- Optional: 1 cup mushrooms, de-stemmed, quartered
- Optional: 1 cup baby spinach
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Place the chicken breast on a sheet pan and rub the skin with olive oil. Sprinkle generously with salt and pepper. Roast for 35 to 40 minutes, until cooked through. When cool enough to handle, remove the meat from the bones, discard the skin, and shred or dice the chicken meat.
- Bring the chicken stock to a simmer in a large pot and add the celery, carrots, and noodles. Simmer uncovered for about 10 minutes, until the noodles are cooked. Add the cooked chicken meat and parsley and heat through.
- Season to taste and serve.