- About 2 dozen small to medium sized fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced (see notes)
- 3 tablespoons lemon infused balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons basil infused olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 4-ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, drained and cut into 2 dozen cubes
- 1 dozen medium-sized fresh strawberries, washed and dried
- Freshly ground black pepper
1. In a small bowl, combine the basil leaves, vinegar, oil, salt and sugar.
2. Add the cubed mozzarella and gently toss to be sure all of the cheese is well coated. Cover with plastic wrap, place in the refrigerator, and marinate for 15 minutes.
3. While the cheese is marinating, cut the strawberries, horizontally, into 1/4 to 1/2-inch slices. (There will be a handful of "scraps" that you should eat. Right now, while you're cooking. Delicious!)
4. Remove the marinating cheese from the refrigerator and place 1 dozen of the largest strawberry slices on a serving plate. Place one piece of cheese on top of each strawberry base, being sure to pick up bits of basil and lemon zest with each one. Add a second slice of strawberry on top, followed by another piece of cheese (again, well coated with basil and zest). Now gently stick a toothpick through each stack.
5. Crack black pepper over the entire plate and serve. (Be generous with the pepper, it adds a nice kick to the sweetness of the berries.)