Sweet Potato Veggie Burgers with BBQ sauce and Peanuts
Cast of Friends:
- 1/2 cup cooked brown rice, short grain
- 1/2 – 3/4 cups whole peanuts, roasted & salted (process until crumbly bits)
- * start with 1/2 cup and add more if you’d like a nuttier burger
- 1 cup mashed sweet potato (oven baked)
- 1 1/2 cups cannellini white beans, drained/rinsed in hot water to soften
- 1 Tbsp dry BBQ spice blend
- 2 Tbsp liquid BBQ sauce, vegan
- 1/4 cup onion, diced
- 2 Tbsp flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp fine black pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder + a few dashes cayenne (optional)
- salt to taste
- oil for sauteing (optional)
- burger buns, vegan
- vegan mayo
- sliced avocado (tossed in lemon juice)
- slaw (optional topping or side)
- toppings: onion, tomato, mixed greens
- warmed BBQ sauce
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Prep: prep your veggies, process your peanuts and cook your rice. I used my Vitamix to process my peanuts. You want a blend of fine crumbles that range from powdery to chunky.
3. Combine your sweet potato, rice, beans, peanuts, spices, onion, parsley and BBQ sauce in a large mixing bowl. Start mashing! Mash until the mixture is thick and creamy.
4. Spray a baking sheet with oil – must do to prevent sticking. Bake at 400 degrees for about 15 minutes or until edges brown. I like my patties on the softer side so I always under cook them a bit. If sauteing, add a splash of safflower or extra virgin olive oil to a hot saute pan and cook 2-4 minutes on each side over medium-high heat. Patties will fuse and firm up a bit as they cool.
5. Assemble: Toast buns. Slather warmed BBQ sauce on one bun and vegan mayo on the other. Place patty. Add onion,s tomato, sliced avocado and greens. Slice and serve!